Osteoarthritis is a condition that affects your joints, causing them to become stiff and painful. Osteoarthritis is caused by the breakdown of cartilage in one or more joints. Cartilage is composed of 65 to 80 percent water, collagen (fibrous protein), and proteoglycans (proteins and sugars which interweave with collagen) and chondrocytes (cells that produce cartilage).Cartilage is a hard but slippery tissue which serves as a cushion between the bones of joints, allowing the bones to glide over one another. Osteoarthritis is also known as degenerative joint disease. Cartilage in joints breaks down, and osteoarthritis symptoms begin to occur. Osteoarthritis is most commonly found in the: knees, hips, hands and fingers and spine. Elbows, shoulders and ankles can be affected by osteoarthritis, but this occurs less frequently. Osteoarthritis comes on slowly. For many, the first signs are joints that ache after physical work or exercise. As the disease progresses, other most common symptoms include: Pain in a joint, Swelling or tenderness in one or more joints, Stiffness after periods of inactivity, such as sleeping or sitting. Crunching feeling or sound of bone rubbing on bone (called crepitus) when the joint is used. Joint pain is the primary symptom associated with osteoarthritis. Any joint can be affected by the disease. Early osteoarthritis symptoms typically involve a single joint. When only one joint is affected, the condition is referred to as monoarthritis. As symptoms first appear, it is important to distinguish joint pain and swelling caused by osteoarthritis from similar symptoms associated with other types of arthritis. Herbal Remedies for osteoarthritis may reduce the joints pain naturally.
Natural Remedies For Osteoarthritis
- Take 10 pieces of almonds and soak them in water overnight. In the morning peel them off, take 5 cloves of garlic and grind almonds and garlic together to form a paste. Apply this paste on the affected joints. This is one of the effected natural remedy for osteoarthritis and prevents pain and stiffness during movement effectively. Use freshly prepared paste and one can take this remedy twice in a day for quicker and better results.
- In case of severe pain and stiffness applying paste of cayenne pepper relieves pain immediately.
- Consuming a teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey mixed with a cup of warm water as first thing in the morning is another one of the effective natural remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Preparing regular cup of tea by adding a slice of grated ginger to it and consuming few cups everyday also works well for relieving pain and stiffness in the joints due to osteoarthritis.
- Garlic works well for treating the problem of joint pain and swelling and provides couple of effective natural remedies for osteoarthritis.
- Consume the three cloves of garlic on an empty stomach in the morning with water this works wonderfully for relieving pain and stiffness in the joints caused by osteoarthritis.
- Add a teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of garlic juice and consume once or twice in a day for relieving the symptoms of the problem.
- Paste of onion applied topically on the painful joints also relieves pain and swelling.
- Paste made by mixing warm water and turmeric powder on topical application also relieves pain and swelling.
- Drinking a glass of warm milk after adding a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it in the night before going to bed is another very effective natural remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Take a tablespoon of mustard oil and heat it on a burner, add few pieces of camphor to it and let it dissolve completely. When oil is bearably warm massage the affected joints with it. It is one of the oldest remedy for osteoarthritis.
- If pain and stiffness is severe cover the joints with a towel soaked in hot water after massaging the joints with the mixture of mustard oil and camphor.
- Simple hot and cold compresses are also effective natural remedy for osteoarthritis as these relieve pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints.
- Add two cups of Epsom salt in tub full of warm water and soak it in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes every day, this provides relief from morning sickness.
- Take sage, rosemary, thyme and mint in equal quantities and add a tablespoon of this mixture in a cup of boiling water. Simmer the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes and later strain and consume. This is an effective remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Warm water bath twice in a day helps in reducing pain and stiffness in the joints and also reduces strain caused during the day on muscles and bones.
- If one is overweight then reducing weight shall be the first priority, the best way for doing so, walking, jogging, swimming and aerobics are very good for reducing weight and also for improving joint strength.
- Yoga provides few effective cures to the problems, and exercises to maintain joints mobility and health of the joints.
- Avoid too much intake of acidic, greasy and spicy foods and alcohol, tobacco and coffee shall be strictly avoided.
- Proper relaxation and sufficient rest is necessary for avoiding problem from aggravating.
Herbal Remedies For Osteoarthritis
Shri Ganga Pharmacy offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Joint Support Pack for ayurvedic treatment of osteoarthritis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda.