Colon is an important part of the digestive system which is responsible for extracting salts and water from the solid wastes and eliminates the toxins from our body. This extraction of water and salts and elimination of toxins is required to maintain an electrolyte balance.
Toxins in our gastrointestinal tracts may lead to various health conditions such as colon cancer, arthritis, allergies, weak immune system, asthma, etc. Colon cleansing helps to improve our health by removing these toxins and maintains a healthy immune system.
Diet for healthy colon
A Diet rich in fruits and vegetables is good for our healthy colon. Whole grains are good for colon. The diet should have less red and processed meats because it decreases the risk of colon cancer. Taking high fiber diet supports overall intestinal health. Drink plenty of water.
Health problems of colon
Various health problems of colon are explained below:
- Constipation - Constipation is a health condition in which a patient has difficulty in emptying the bowels and is associated with small, hard and infrequent stools. It may be caused by inadequate fiber in the diet, poor eating habits and movement problems in the large bowel.
- Irritable bowel syndrome - Irritable bowel syndrome is a condition in which muscles of colon contracts in an abnormal manner which may lead to several other health problems such as abdominal cramps, bloating, gas, constipation and diarrhea. It can be prevented by avoiding food that make the condition worse and by managing the stress.
- Structural disorders - It is the disorders which occurs when there is something visually abnormal and may require an operation to remove it. It may include removal of a portion of the colon for cancer. Anal disorders such as internal and external hemorrhoids are the examples of structural disorders.
- Colon and rectal cancer - Colon cancer is a major health problem of colon. It is a cancer of the large intestine. Rectal cancer is of the lower part of the large intestine. In most of the cases of colon cancer begins with small and noncancerous clumps of cells which are known as polyps.
- Colitis - It is a group of health conditions that causes inflammation of the large bowel. Colitis may cause diarrhea, rectal bleeding, urgency and abdominal cramps. It can be diagnosed by colonoscopy and biopsy.
No doubt, nothing can take a place of healthy and balanced diet which is one of the most important requirements to maintain a healthy body, but taking natural supplements help to maintain a better level of health. Dietary supplements are just for dietary support and not for treating any disease.
Nowadays, there are so many dietary supplements available in the market and it is difficult to choose the best one. The one which uses natural ingredients in it and is free from side effects is the good one for the overall health of the body.